Sunday, September 28, 2008

Logan's Day

Yesterday Logan had his first experience at organized sports (besides a game of Wii sports).  We gave the kids the choice of one activity that they could participate in, the girls choosing a dance/Musical Theater class, and Logan chose soccer.  He's had 2 practices and yesterday was his first game.

Now, my poor son has not had much experience with sports, much to the chagrin of Mike.  He desperately wants the kids to be involved in sports, and be good at them.  If any of you have ever watched little kids playing soccer, you know that it's pretty much a mob of kids following the ball around the field.  As they grow older, they learn the rules a little bit more.  Logan is still in the follow the ball around the field stage.  I have to give them credit, they did pretty well, and we have some pretty talented kids on the field.  Right now, Logan is pretty much in it for the social part, but we're working on that.  We just need to take a little time with him and show him the rules and how to actually kick the ball and dribble it.  At least they had fun, and as he told me later, "I made a friend today mom!"

I should have guessed that Logan had ulterior motives for getting involved in soccer as he asked me on the way to the game if he would get a trophy today after the game.  I think that he has glorified visions of winning a huge trophy to display in his room.  He has, after all, "never gotten a trophy ever in his life."

All in all, it was a good day.  He played and ran a lot and got tired and asked to be taken out, but I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing.  It was hot.

It was obvious we were amateur fans when all we show up with are lawn chairs and water bottles.  I was a terrible mom and didn't even think about the sunscreen that we would need, or shade.  We sweltered in the 90+ degree heat, and begged sunscreen off one of the moms sitting in the cool shade of the awning that they brought.  I sent Kaylea to the car to scrounge up an umbrella that we had, and the girls and I huddled under it out of the sun.  We learned our lesson and will be better prepared next week, and show up 30 minutes early to get ready to be spectators.

AND...for those of you who are wondering....we won, 4-3.

5 comments:

allredclan said...

How fun for Logan!!! I love those blue jerseys. Caleb would be so jealous! (He has a thing for silky shirts.) If I had to guess which sport Logan would have chosen, it would have been soccer. With all that bouncing and running around he does with the Wii, it's a perfect fit.

p.s. Love the music. =)

Ryan said...

Hey guys! It's been a while! Good to see you have brought the South American soccer prodigy to the States. Keep in touch.

Kathy said...

Oh, the fun of a soccer mom. I can totally relate to your experience. Connor tried soccer a few years ago and was also a part of the mass that just followed the ball. And what a bonus for Logan - making new friends! Glad to hear you're doing well.

Susan said...

How fun for Logan. We've done soccer too and it's great fun. I think the girls will have a riot in their dance/musical theater class. What a great opportunity for all of them!

By the way, I'd LOVE to swelter in some heat today. I'm mourning the loss of our warm weather. I'm not taking the cooling off well at all this year.

Anonymous said...

Good For Logan! Ayden is finally starting to get the competetive edge, but it's taken a year to get there. Jen says Hi!